62560
Open/Close Toolbox
Item Type: People and Organisations
Linked To
Activities & OccupationsItemSeriesAccessionImage
Menu
J.C. Taylor & Sons Aust. Pty Ltd
Description
Agent TypeOrganisationActivities & OccupationsBuildersHistoryThe firm was founded in 1860 in Geelong by John Charles Taylor, and two of his sons, John William and Henry Alfred soon joined him in partnership. John Charles Taylor & brother James left London 1852, arrived Geelong 1853, & initially worked for McAlpine, builder. The business encompassed a saw and planing mill and a joinery factory. John Charles retired in 1904 and the running of the company passed on to his sons. In 1915 the firm was incorporated as a Proprietary Company and the business expanded with a flourishing timber merchant retailing trade. A major fire in 1924 completely destroyed the mill, joinery factory and office buildings with the loss of much stock and work. The firm worked in all parts of Victoria, including constructing army camps during WWII, post-war housing and most of the Ford plant at Geelong. A Melbourne Branch of the company was established in 1929 and was relocated to Richmond. The company was placed in liquidation in 1990.Search records of this agent
Series
Accession
J.C. Taylor & Sons Aust. Pty Ltd. University of Melbourne Archives, accessed 12/12/2025, https://archives.library.unimelb.edu.au/nodes/view/62560





